Sunday, June 30, 2002

Under Bob

I have always thought that the prayers we said in school and the "under god" statement in the Pledge were inappropriate. Even as a young child in grade school I knew that not all people in this country believe in god, and this is supposed to be a country for ALL people. I personally have my own brand of spirituality, and I'm extremely patriotic - having been raised by a Marine and served in the Air Force myself.

It always made me uncomfortable at graduations and other events when prayers would be said. They were always Christian prayers that referred to god as HIM and Our Father. I always thought it was unfair to inflict one's beliefs on another at an important event such as graduation. This is probably why I've avoided most traditional graduations and public events.

When I voiced this uncomfort to peers, I was often ridiculed. People always told me that this nation was founded on Christianity, so I had better suck it up and shut up. I did a little research on this and found it to be untrue. The Christians did not found this country. The Free Masons did. That makes me feel a little better; they're closer to being pagans (like me) than Christians.

I am all for people keeping their religion in their own way. I'm equally supportive of those who have no religious beliefs. I will be very glad of the day when we evolve to the point where we realize that such phrases like "under god" or prayers at graduation really do alienate people. People like me. Like athiests. Like other pagans. Like anyone who has a spirituality other than Judeo/Christianity.

As our "minority" numbers grow, things will change. We just need to have courage and a voice.