Thursday, July 04, 2002

... on why I'm still single ...

You could say I work in a male-dominant environment. I'm one of two females in our office and the only one in a management position. Everyone else is at least 20 years older than me - except one of my co-workers. He's only 10 years older than me. I love my job. Everyone is retired military or retired civil service. It's very relaxed. The people are *real.*

It wasn't until this last Tuesday that I realized why I'm still single. We had a meeting with some government-employed engineers about doing some work for them. These guys were all around my age. Everyone in my company was trying to keep things light, cutting up a little now and then, yet still being professional and conducting business. The government weenies (around my age) looked scared to death, took themselves way too seriously, never laughed, became defensive easily, and seemed a little too tunnel-visioned about the project. In plain English, they were a bunch of sticks in the mud!

This made me ponder the last few dates I've had with various individuals. Hmmm. Yep, the last guy took himself so seriously he couldn't have any fun. He wouldn't build a sandcastle with me at the beach - refused outright! All he wanted to do was sit in *my* chair and drink beer. You can do that at HOME, dude! No wonder I ditched him.

The guy before that was an engineer who thought my career choices and hobbies were "unfeminine." So I like to build little robots! So what? So I used to wrench on airplanes for a living. It helped me get the job I have now! Maybe he was threatened by that. I don't know. I sent him packing, too.

I've dated a few 40-somethings. They're alright, but a lot of them are bitter from paying alimony and child support for so long. One was kind enough to give me the starring role of "Bimbo" is his mid-life crisis. That sucked. Actually, it's pretty funny, but I'll spare you the gory details.

So, what's my solution? I don't have one. I guess I'll just keep plugging along, doing what I love to do, laughing at myself and the dumb mistakes I make, and hope I eventually run into someone who's around my age that is secure enough with himself to have a sense of humor and a little fun once in a while.

Hey, I can dream, can't I?