Monday, July 08, 2002

Rude California Tax Board

I got this really rude notice in the mail on Saturday. I got this letter from the state tax board saying I owe them $1600. Now, I *always* pay my taxes. I'm so paranoid that I overpay just to make sure I never have to deal with this. Imagine my surprise when I got that notice saying, basically, "Pay us $1600 now or we're going to tag you with tons of interest, garner your wages, and take your first born child." I'm serious. It was that rude and that bad.

There was no explanation as to why I suddenly had to pay $1600. There was no justification whatsoever. No hint as to what the nature of the mistake was. It was just, "Pay me, now!"

I talked to the lady today, and it turns out that they sent me a request for more information about my dependent child. I never received the noticed - probably because I moved. Luckily, the lady at the tax board whom I talked to today (was a little surprised I was being so nice to her on the phone) took all of my son's information and told me that she's putting a hold on the account until it gets cleared up. So, there are no worries.

I think I'm going to have to write them a letter. I'm sure that there are plenty of people out there who try to cheat or who are really nasty about getting notices, but I don't think people deserve that kind of rude notice with no explanation in the mail.

Maybe I'm just being a whiner.