Friday, August 23, 2002

Things are looking up.

I finally got the nerve to call my friend [who I pissed off] last night. I had sent him an apologetic email three days ago and hadn't heard a peep out of him. So, figuring we both had a chance to cool down and that it was time to do something about it instead of letting it fester, I decided to suck it up and call.

I got the answering machine. Don't you just hate it when that happens? You totally psyche yourself up to finally do something about something and you hit a brick wall. Yes, I left a message. I hope it sounded warm and not too upset.

It must have been okay, because I got an email from my friend this morning. He said he would have called back last night but he got in real late. I thanked him for not calling me at 2 am. hee hee. I hope I get to talk to him today.

Then I bopped over to emode.com and took an emotional IQ test so that I could figure out how to avoid pissing people off in the future. I found out that I see people very clearly, that I usually behave very maturely and responsibly, but I don't always pay attention to clues they give me about *their* emotional selves. Ah. There's the weak link. I got some advice about how to improve that skill, so I'm going to work on it. It's going to take practice, and I'm going to have to remind myself that not everybody deals well with observations and criticism no matter how well-intentioned it is. My best advice to myself is: If they don't ask, don't tell, and even if they DO ask, gauge the person's ability to deal with feedback FIRST and don't be brutally honest if they can't take it.

I think I'm on my way to becoming a better human being. I'm trying, at least.