Monday, April 18, 2005

OPERATION BIRD DROP

I left my painting easel out on the lanai for a couple of months so I would have somewhere well-ventilated to paint in oils. Well, I hadn't used it for a while because we are buying a house and the escrow process has kept us hopping.

On Easter Sunday, I went outside to get the easel and clean it up a bit so I could pack it. The drawer was stuck and when I forced it open a little I saw all of these leaves and sticks crammed in there. Strange, I thought. So I went around to the back side of the easel to open the hinged top of the drawer. As I barely cracked the drawer open, a bird flew out! There, on the inside, was a hearty nest and six peach, speckled eggs.

pictures:




A week ago the eggs hatched, and now there are three new baby house wrens in the world.


We're moving in 11 days and we're not sure what to do. Project Wildlife says it's illegal to move a bird's nest, and they won't come out to rescue the babies, and Fish and Game hasn't return my call.

Being nature lovers, we are in quite a bind. We're kicking around possible solutions, but we're not decided on what to do, yet ... and the clock is ticking ...