Sunday, May 27, 2007

My 3/4 Cup Rant

Probably the most popular things for Americans to bake are chocolate chip cookies. What kid doesn't remember standing on the stool in the kitchen, helping Mom or Dad measure out ingredients for the cookies?

Every chocolate chip cookie recipe is pretty much the same: 1 cup softened butter, 2 tsp vanilla, 3/4 cup granulated sugar, 3/4 cup packed brown sugar, etc.

I distinctly remember scooping in that 3/4 cup measure in to the brown sugar bag and then pressing down with my little fist just as hard as I could. It was satisfying to watch that big molded lump of sugar plop out of the measuring cup and into the bowl. It was a little like making a sweet, sweet sand castle in a moat of creamy butter.

Since becoming an adult and settling down, I've had to stock my kitchen with all of the essentials for cookie making. For the last ten years, I've been looking for a 3/4 cup measure. I've looked in specialty kitchen stores, I've looked in K-mart. I've even looked at import stores. The packets of measuring cups for sale all have 1/4 cup, 1/3 cup, 1/2 cup, and 1 cup. Nobody makes a 3/4 cup measure anymore - probably the most commonly used measure in America! So, now instead of making one big, sweet, brown sugar sand castle, I have to make 3 puny little towers that wouldn't defend a single chocolate chip from anyone!

It's just not right!