Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Flying Hampered
I'm on day 7 of working on the borrowed department laptop at work. My computer is Tango-Uniform at the moment. Some printer driver that IT told me to install starting causing all of my Microsoft programs to crash. Yeah, that was a lot of fun. So, they came and took my desktop away and left me with ol Wheezy here. We are doing the best we can.

It was tolerable for a while. This old Toshiba T30 and I have been pounding things out for six days ... but today things are getting kinda sucky. With this thing you have to be careful where your hands are at all times because the touchpad is hella sensitive. Several times today I've pasted things into the wrong cell just because my thumb decided to rest - on the touchpad. No mouse, either. My productivity has decresed by at least a third. I got spoiled with my two-monitor setup. sheesh.

Did I mention that I have about 50 things to do before the end of the month, and a product build to do as well?

This is one more occasion to be proud of myself. Instead of getting all wiggy about this, I've chosen the Zen approach, and I'm just doing the best with what I have. I've not gone off on anyone, I've not torn off anyone's head. In fact, I've been sweet at apple pie to the IT guy, who really is doing his best. I've bitten my tongue about his terrible troubleshooting skills. I've even not mentioned the fact that two people with identical problems had their computers fixed in 3 days. No, I've been very, very tolerant.

Before recovery, I would be nasty to the IT guy, yell, cuss, and bitch ... and things would not have been done any faster.

So, yay for me. But, I'm really getting tired of this laptop.